Friday, July 18, 2008

Cloth Diapers














The week we got back from Michigan we started putting Ruby in cloth diapers. I have actually been doing research on cloth diapers for about 3 months now...about the time when our free diapers ran out and I had to start buying diapers. Cost was definitely an issue but I also wanted to do my part to keep the world a little cleaner . So, after talking to a few friends and trying out some diapers we decided which ones we were going to use. For those of you that have never looked into cloth diapering, let me tell you, it is not as simple as it once was. There are many many different sizes, shapes, material, and accessories that go with them. I was pretty overwhelmed but decided to go with the kind that we tried out and also had a few friends recommendations for that specific kind. So far so good. We actually really like it. They are softer on little Ruby's bum and super easy to manage. Doing the laundry depends on how many diapers you have and how often your baby "goes." We wash our diapers about twice a week. We still put Ruby in disposables at night, at church, traveling, or out and about for a long time. The above pic's are Ruby in her diapers. The bright colors are actually the wraps or pants that go over the diapers. The below pictures are the actual diapers we use (Kissaluv Contours) and the snappis that we use to hold them together (no more pins). A lot of people who do cloth diapers also do cloth wipes but we haven't tackled that yet. Maybe that will be on my next to do list.

I know this is turning into a long post but I have one more thought. One thing that I have learned about myself since becoming a mother is that I often take a lot of pride in how I parent Ruby whether that be making homemade baby food, getting her on a schedule, or cloth diapering. I have realized that I am finding my worth in what I do at times rather than who I am in Christ. Realizing this doesn't make me stop doing what I am doing for Ruby but rather it has stopped me from thinking that I am some great person or some awesome mother because I do these things. I like to make baby food and I like to use cloth but I know that doesn't make a difference on an eternal scale.












No comments: