Friday, March 25, 2011

Chicka Chicka

I have decided that once a week I will post about a book we have been reading and an activity that we did along with the book. I figured if I post about it here then I will be more accountable to doing these things with the girls.

Today we read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr., John Archambault and Illustrated Lois Ehlert

We have read this book a million times but today we did a few different things with it. I had Ruby point to all the letters as I read them...she really liked doing this. We also took a "field trip" to the store and bought a tropical fruit- Pineapple! She could not stop talking about how "prickly" it was. We talked about other tropical fruits like coconuts (from the book) and that mama doesn't like coconuts so we don't buy them :)
---quick side note. I usually pretend like I like all the foods that I don't really like in front of Ruby (i.e. green, yellow, and red peppers and onions). I just figured this was one I could care less if she ate or not.
I really wanted to make a coconut tree out of construction paper, put it on the fridge and use fridge letters as we read the book too. We don't have all of the letters in the alphabet anymore though so that will be for another day.

I got some of these ideas from Homeschool Share.


Our first ever prickly pineapple

Ruby showing Telia the book
We used this pineapple to make a smoothie along with
mandarin oranges, bananas, and almond milk.
Ruby didn't like the smoothie but Telia drank some of it.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a really great idea! :) Josiah loves that book-but we have never done anything fun with it, besides get it on tape to listen to... And Telia is too cute in that picture! :)

Aunt Kate Straley said...

poor telia is getting face-planted into that book!! i love all of the pictures you've been posting--too cute =)

Unknown said...

Tera!

Thanks for the ideas! I am planning summer units for the girls and this is the one I started last week. Maybe I'll post on my blog too and we can link each other if inspired! I love the homeschool site you shared!

When I taught Kindergarten we made coconut tree on it with each student. When each student could identify each letter we used a dot sticker with the upper or lower case they knew to decorate the tree. They were so excited to fill up the page.