Monday, February 4, 2013

Meal Plan

Fish Tacos (from last week)

Steak with Kale and Onions (from last week)

Almond Chicken Soup with Sweet Potato, Collards and Ginger

Hamburgers (made double last week and froze the extras) with salad and carrot fries

Sweet Potato Soup- I will sub. full fat coconut milk for the regular and chicken broth instead of veggie.

Hot Wings with Mashed Cauliflower and Salad

Here are a few other recipes that we tried this week:

Sausage and Butternut Breakfast Hash
Brian actually cooked this one up on Saturday morning while I was getting ready.  He really likes opportunities to cook so I have been trying to hand over the spatula to him a little more lately.  This was so yummy.  Everyone in the house ate it up (only after one melt down about not wanting it from one child).  It will definitely go in the rotation for breakfast foods.

Meatza (like pizza)- Admittedly, this sounds disgusting but it was great.  The recipe calls for an egg but I replaced that with a half of a small sweet potato.  The toppings I used were arugula, shaved brussels sprouts, spinach, mushrooms and cut up chicken bratwurst.  Next time I will leave out the meat topping. 

Butternut Squash Fries

Paleo Chocolate Chip Scones I really wanted to make some baked goods for my family so I decided on starting with this recipe.  I subbed refined coconut oil (has less of a coconut flavor than extra virgin coconut oil) for the vegan shortening (whatever that is).  I also subbed 2 bananas for the eggs.  These two subs worked out fine...just had to bake the scones for about 20 minutes longer than the recipe called for.   Here is where everything went wrong.  Since going Paleo I haven't really researched what kind of chocolate I should buy so I panicked a the grocery and bought unsweetened Bakers chocolate.  BAD IDEA.  This stuff is super bitter because it is straight up chocolate...no sugar, not milk, nothing.  Shredding it may have worked better but the big chunks were not good.  Telia took one bite, spit it out and started licking her sleeve to remove the flavor.  Next time I will not use that chocolate.